Try a six month print or digital Life and Work subscription

Home  >  Features  >  Looking Back: Moses Stone

Looking Back

Image: archives-pic_cropped.jpg

Looking Back


In January 1970 the ‘Moses’ Stone was brought in to Fraserburgh South Church. It remains there. The Scottish Churches website describes it thus: ‘In the south transept of the church there is a carved stone slab depicting Moses looking to Heaven. It is the only surviving fragment of Fraserburgh University, founded in the late 16th century.’ The January 1970 issue  the described the unveiling of the stone in its new home.

January 1970

The 'Moses' or 'Ten Commandments' Stone

"Moses” Stone

Unveiled in Fraserburgh Ceremony

It may be news to some that Fraserburgh once had a University of its own. In 1592 Sir Alexander Fraser, founder of the town, obtained from James VI authority to build a university.

The building was completed by the end of the century and the work of the University flourished for five years. The religious quarrels of the times however, then intervened and the University came to an untimely end.

These events were brought to mind again recently. A carved stone, known locally as the ‘Ten Commandments’ or ‘Moses’ stone and believed to be the altar stone of the old university, was rapidly deteriorating in its site on the outside wall of Fraserburgh South Church. Expert advice was that it should be brought indoors. The cost of the move was met by the Town Council, the Feurs’ Managers and numerous organisations. And in October, the stone, now warm and dry inside the church, was unveiled by Captain Alexander Ramsey of Mar.

Previous: Saying Grace

Looking Back Menu